Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Essay #2

College Bound                                                                                                Jovanni Decasco
                                                                                                                        August 16, 2011

            People these days have something to say about Mexicans. I am Mexican and proud to be Mexican but others make me feel like being Mexican is a bad thing. I have faced racism in my life. People have told me something because I am Mexican. Every day I lay down on my bed thinking about the times they have told me something because of my race. I have been called an immigrant. The thing I have been called the most is a Mexican. Because of my Mexican background, they have told me that I am not going to graduate high school. In addition, I have been asked if I am going to drop out of school. The things that people have told me have encouraged me to prove this statistics and stereotypes about Mexicans wrong.
            There was a day when I was called an immigrant. I remember it like if it had just happen yesterday. That day I was on my way home taking the train. I was walking down the stairs on the train station. Then I saw three people walking in my direction. Those three people were African American. When I passed by them they called an immigrant. I looked back and saw them walk to the train like if nothing had happened. I stood there in shock because it offended me. I find it offensive because immigrants have done a lot of work for this country and people do not show respect for that.
            The other thing I have been called is a Mexican. I have been called a Mexican so many times that I lost count. It does not offends it just angers me. Don’t get me wrong, I am a proud Mexican. The thing that angers me is the way they say Mexican. People act like if being a Mexican is a bad thing. People add another meaning to the word Mexican when they say it. That what bothers me. Hearing it over and repeatedly is just annoying and frustrating. It makes me want to change the way people think about Mexicans.
            Another thing I have been told because I am Mexican is that I am not going to graduate high school. This really offends me because people think that Mexicans don’t have what it takes to graduate high school. People think that all Mexicans drop out of high school. That they won’t make it to college.
In conclusion, I am a proud Mexican that have experience many troubles throughout my life. I have been compared to stereotypes. I will prove all these statistics and stereotypes wrong by graduating high school and going to college. I am proud of who I am a Mexican American

No comments:

Post a Comment